What Plants Are Poisonous to Dogs?

When the leaves have finally fallen from the trees, our gardens start looking bare and we all start spending more time inside, many of us turn to colourful winter houseplants and bring greenery indoors, especially at Christmas time.

This can all look and smell lovely but can be a major hazard for inquisitive cats and dogs, Sue Armstrong, Natural Instinct’s Veterinary Surgeon tells K9 Magazine.

Young animals and cats that can of course climb, are more at risk as they will often nibble and chew on new plants to see if they have good taste or texture and can then seriously get themselves into trouble.

Animals with allergic skin disease may also be at risk from contact with plants such as Christmas Trees causing local contact allergies.

What Plants Are Poisonous to Dogs?

Here are some of the plants to be careful with:


Even if you don’t know the name, you’ll see poinsettias in many Christmas floral displays because of their bright red and green colours.

What Plants Are Poisonous to Dogs?

Poinsettias are mildly toxic to cats and dogs. The milky white sap found in the plant can produce mild signs of drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea if eaten.

If the sap comes into contact with the skin it can cause redness, itchiness and local swelling.

The symptoms are generally self-limiting however veterinary attention may help to relieve the symptoms and stop your pet further self-traumatizing the skin.

Hyacinths/Daffodils/Amaryllis/Lilies and other Bulbs

The lily family, which includes Amaryllis (pictured below), is especially toxic to cats. While the entire plant is toxic, the bulbs are the most toxic part of the plant.

What Plants Are Poisonous to Dogs?

Other bulbs such as daffodils and hyacinths (pictured below) are also toxic particularly if the bulb is eaten.

What Plants Are Poisonous to Dogs?

Symptoms, which may be seen in both dogs and cats, include drooling, abdominal discomfort, diarrhoea, vomiting, tremors, depression, lower respiratory rate, hypotension (low blood pressure) and inappetence (loss of appetite).


Mistletoe is toxic to both dogs and cats. The main symptoms of ingestion are drooling, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and vomiting.

What Plants Are Poisonous to Dogs?

However, if large amounts are ingested, low blood pressure, collapse, staggering, seizures and death can occur. If you think your pet has eaten mistletoe, you should get your pet to a vet immediately.


Holly is mild to moderately toxic to dogs and cats. The most common symptoms include lip smacking, drooling, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, and loss of appetite.

What Plants Are Poisonous to Dogs?

In more severe poisonings, gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting and diarrhoea can occur.

Pets can also be injured in the mouth from prick injuries caused by ingesting the pointed leaves and may show drooling, pawing at the mouth and other signs of mouth pain.

Christmas Trees

Christmas trees can be mildly toxic due to the fir tree oils, which can irritate the mouth and stomach.

Chewing on and swallowing the tree needles can cause drooling, vomiting, irritation, and although rare, ingesting large quantities of needles may cause gastrointestinal blockage or even puncture of the gut.

What Plants Are Poisonous to Dogs?

One of the most important things to avoid is allowing your pet access to the water used in the stand to try and keep the tree fresh.

Christmas trees are often treated with preservatives, which can leach into the water over time and cause severe gastro-intestinal symptoms such as diarrhoea and vomiting.

This may all sound very ‘bah humbug’, but knowing the dangers and taking the right precautions can allow you to enjoy the winter indoor plants without the misery of making your pet sick.


This article is sponsored by Natural Instinct.

Make sure the whole family sits down to Christmas Dinner this year, by treating your beloved pooch or puss to the delights of a traditional turkey meal, with all the trimmings.

What Plants Are Poisonous to Dogs?

Natural Instinct Christmas Feast.

Packed with delicious Christmas treats including British Turkey with bone, parsnips (for dogs only), British Turkey Liver, sage and cranberry. Not only do these additional trimmings contribute to the delicious natural flavours, they provide all the essential nutrients, minerals and vitamins for optimum health in your pets.

For more information please contact retail@naturalinstinct.com, visit the website at www.naturalinstinct.com or telephone 01276 608500.

Leave a Reply