Editor's Pick

9 Truly Astonishing Things Dogs Have Eaten

When it comes to incredible acts of heroism, intelligence, bravery and loyalty, dogs have most other animals beat - paws down. Our friend the dog is capable of providing jaw-dropping headlines just about every day of the week. They constantly amaze us with the remarkable things they do, particularly when they act on our behalf or in our interests.

But. And my word it's a big but. They're still dogs. And dogs are also capable of stupendous acts of ridiculous nonsense.

Non more so than when they remind us of their doggishness by eating things they should not have eaten.

No, we're not talking about when they eat a grape that we accidentally dropped on the floor (grapes are a food that is dangerous to dogs, but they don't know that).

No, we're not talking about those dogs who steal a plate full of cakes that were left unattended for 0.01 seconds - they're dogs, they'd be somewhat disappointing us if they DIDN'T eat unattended cakes (although you can actually make cakes that are just for dogs)

No, what we are talking about here is things that dogs have eaten that make us question what on earth must have entered their heads before the bizarre entered their stomachs!

The 8 Craziest Things Dogs Have Eaten

Golf Balls

Meet Pongo.

Pongo is a Dalmatian and Pongo eats golf balls.

The four-year-old pooch was taken to his local PDSA vet hospital by his worried owner, Jack Harvey, after he noticed blood in his urine.

Vets initially suspected that Pongo was suffering from bladder stones, a common ailment for Dalmatians, but were left shocked by the results of the x-ray.

PDSA vet, Gemma Hepner, said: “We were primarily looking at the bladder, but the x-ray captured his stomach too – we could clearly see a foreign body in there.

“We knew it was a ball of some kind by the shape but couldn’t tell exactly what type. It was too big for him to pass and there was a real risk it could cause a fatal blockage in his stomach or his intestines if it were to move, so we had to operate to remove it.”

Jack (24) of Muirhouse, was gobsmacked when he learned what had happened.

He said: “I often walk him by a local golf course and he likes to play with the stray golf balls, but I’ve never seen him swallow one!

“It was a complete shock when PDSA told me what they had pulled out of his stomach.”

You think Pongo is the only dog with a penchant for putting golf balls in his stomach?

Nope.

Super Glue

A sticky situation for Brie the French Bulldog.

We all know how superglue works. We try to use it to stick together that mug we just dropped and despite our best intentions we ended up gluing our finger to our thumb. Well spare a thought for Brie.

The 18-month-old French bulldog, decided to chew on a tube of the ultra-sticky super glue which her owner Louise Welby thought was safely out of reach.

Within seconds, the super glue began to take hold. First Brie’s tongue began sticking to the roof of her mouth, then her whole jaw locked together.

With a frantic Brie getting more and more distressed and struggling to breathe, Louise, of Billericay, Essex, feared she might die.

Vets Now, who successfully treated Brie, tell the story:

Service delivery manager Louise, who lives with partner Kim, 29, said: “We’d just moved house and everything was a bit chaotic.

“I’d got the super glue out to fix Brie’s favourite toy, which is a golden ball which had split in half.

“I put the super glue on top of a cabinet thinking it would be safe.

“But we’d just had a sofa delivered which we propped up against the cabinet.

“Brie basically used the sofa as a trampoline and jumped up and got the super glue.

“She only had it a few seconds – but still managed to get her mouth stuck.

“It was really frightening seeing her struggling to breathe like that.”

Brie made a full recovery after veterinary intervention.

Article continues below >>

Have you heard about...?

Rocks (For Brains?)

Phoebe Nowakiwskyj has spent thousands of pounds on Rupert, a Pug cross King Charles Spaniel, whose secretive stone-gobbling has resulted in him spending hours in the vet's costly operating theatre.

Mother-of-three Mrs Nowakiwskyj, from Chelmsford, Essex, first noticed that something was wrong when the young dog began to refuse all food and water.

The family took the then eight-month-old puppy to their local vet's immediately, where it was discovered he had ingested four large rocks, requiring emergency surgery on his abdomen.

Read more.

Wedding Cake

Bella the Labrador didn't stand on ceremony when she decided the cake in front of her had been laid on in her honour. A wedding cake is still a cake. A Labrador is gonna do what Labradors do. You know how this ends.

See it for yourself.

https://i0.wp.com/i.imgur.com/8acOcWI.png?resize=714%2C423&ssl=1

Oh and if you think Bella is alone in being the only dog to partake inappropriately in wedding festivities, you'd be incorrect.

Everything!!

As this is a list of things that dogs have eaten that they should not have eaten, this needs to be included. A dog eating sausages is no big deal. Unless, of course, the dog was not supposed to have eaten those sausages. You need to see this. You really do.

Watermelon

Again, what's odd about dogs eating this healthy, nutritious food you may ask? Well, it's not so much what they're eating here, it's ALL about HOW they're eating it. Yes, dogs eating watermelon has become a viral trend and when you watch this video you'll see why. It will make you smile :)

What The Truck?

If you were, indeed are, a fan of the Thomas The Tank engine series you'd know who Clarabel is.

Cyril the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was obviously a big fan.

Sadly, he needed the help of vets after his owner realised something was wrong when their beloved pet stopped eating and started vomiting. Worried owner Lesley Mellor (40) rushed him in to Plymouth PDSA Pet Hospital, where x-rays revealed the cause of poor Cyril’s plight.

The nine-year-old Cyril had somehow managed to get his paws on a ‘Clarabel’ toy – the famous character from Thomas the Tank Engine at the family home in Torpoint.

He was taken straight to the operating theatre, where PDSA vet David Jones carried out the life-saving surgery.

David said: “Whenever a dog swallows a foreign object, there is a very real risk of a blockage in the intestines, which could be fatal. So once we’d x-rayed Cyril we took him straight into theatre to operate. Surgery like this is very risky, because you never know what you might find, or what damage the object might have caused.”

Once the toy train carriage was removed, Cyril quickly recovered and was well enough to return home to Lesley and her son, Cameron, the next day.

That's Not a Knife, This is a Kni...No. Wait. That IS a Knife!

Just look at the x-ray. That's no mystery object. That's a knife. We can all see it's a knife. So how on earth did that get there?

A 12-week-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier has been saved by emergency surgery thanks to vet charity PDSA, after swallowing something that would ordinarily be absolutely lethal. The lucky puppy has vets to thank that he’s alive today and his swallowing ‘accomplishment’ has resulted in one of the most astonishing x-rays ever seen.

An eight-inch knife is clearly visible in the tiny puppy’s body.

Owner Irene Paisley (46), from Glasgow, rushed puppy Macie to PDSA’s emergency out-of-hours vet service after the 12-week-old began choking:

“Macie was making a squeaking sound – I thought she’d swallowed part of a toy,” says Irene. “Then she was sick, but there was no sign of a toy and she started choking.”

The young puppy was admitted, and x-rays immediately revealed the severity of the situation. The knife handle had passed through Macie’s stomach and into her intestines, while the tip of the knife was still in her gullet. She underwent emergency surgery straight away to remove the knife while Irene, her partner and four children waited at home for news.

Happily, the operation was a success and the following morning Macie was transferred to the PDSA Pet Hospital in Shamrock Street, where her recovery began.

PDSA Vet, Emily Ronald, said: “I’ve never seen an x-ray like Macie’s. She was extremely lucky to survive. Her saving grace was that she swallowed the handle-end first – the blade-end would undoubtedly have pierced her organs, likely causing fatal injuries.

“The morning after surgery, she was bouncing all over the place as if nothing had happened. Macie has been back for frequent check-ups over the past two weeks and we’re pleased she’s recovering and healing well.”

Comments

comments

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top