PDSA vets have saved the life of a dog who literally bit off more than she could chew after getting a pig’s trotter stuck in her oesophagus and a pig’s tail in her stomach.
Maggie, a one-year-old Bullmastiff, was rushed to Cardiff PDSA Pet Hospital because she was retching and was in distress, after devouring her piggy treats.
PDSA vets x-rayed Maggie and decided to operate after confirming the extent of the blockage.
PDSA nurse, Karen Jones, said: “Maggie was panting heavily and had a high temperature when she first came in.
“We warned Maggie’s owner of the high risks when operating under general anaesthetic. But it was the only way we could get the pig’s trotter out as it was lodged so far down her oesophagus. We also removed the pig’s tail that was in her stomach, as it may not have passed through Maggie’s digestive system safely.
“Maggie was kept in overnight but made a remarkable recovery and was able to go home the next day with a course of antibiotics.”
Karen added: “We always advise owners not to feed any type of bones to pets and this case highlights the dangers of giving such treats. We’re thankful to funding from players of People’s Postcode Lottery, which is helping us to educate owners on the type of foods and occasional treats it is safe to give.”
Maggie’s owner, Christine Ramsay, said she was horrified about what happened, and is warning others about the dangers of feeding such treats.
“We’ve fed Maggie pigs’ trotters before and she’s been fine, as she normally chews them. But this time she wolfed it down and it got stuck. We were so worried about her, she’s our baby.
“We can’t thank PDSA vets enough, they did an amazing job. We are so relieved that Maggie is back to her mad, happy self.”
Join Our Newsletter & We'll Send You Our Very Best Content
Subscribers get regular dog news, advice, videos and free dog stuff that will delight you & your canine pals.